Find an NHS Dentist

How to find a Special Care Dentist in a Local Community or Hospital Dental Service

Some dentists may be able to treat people with special needs in their surgery. However, some people may not be able to get to their dental practice because of a disability or medical condition. In this case, the dentist should refer the patient to a more specialised dental service. Ask your dentist what is needed for a referral and if it is suitable in your case.

Specialised dental services are commonly provided by community dental services. Community dental services are available in a variety of places to ensure everyone can have access to dental health. These include hospitals, specialist health centres and mobile clinics, as well as home visits or visits in nursing and care homes. 

To find out more about the community dental care available in your area, contact NHS England on 0300 311 2233

How to find an NHS dentist

Please note that the BSSCD webpage cannot offer advice on dental problems or finding a dentist. 


If you live in England:

For urgent problems please use NHS 111 by telephoning 111 or via the internet by clicking here

If you are trying to register with a dentist please click here 


To find NHS dental care or if you have an urgent dental problem, you should contact your local Dental Helpline. There are different phone numbers depending on the area where you live or are staying in. These are as follows:

Aneurin Bevan (covers Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Monmouthshire, Newport and Torfaen): 01633 744387

Betsi Cadwaladr (covers Anglesey, Gwynedd, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire and Wrexham): NHS 111 Wales

Cardiff and Vale (covers Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan): 0300 10 20 247

Cwm Taf Morgannwg (covers Rhondda Cynon Taff, Merthyr Tydfil and Bridgend): 0300 123 5060

Hywel Dda (covers Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion): NHS 111 Wales

Swansea Bay (covers Swansea and Neath Port Talbot): NHS 111 Wales

Powys: 01686 252 808

For more information click here 


If you live in Scotland please click here to find out how to register with a dentist and access urgent dental care.

Northern Ireland

If you live in Northern Ireland please contact your local health trust for more information.